Overview of Azure AD (ADD), what is Azure Active Directory?
- Last Updated: Sunday, 09 December 2018 17:08
- Hits: 49
what is azure active directory? And how to use of Microsoft ADD, describe an azure AD quick overview, identity management solution with single sign on.
Azure AD (AAD) is a platform as a service (Paas) and It is a Microsoft’s multi-tenant, geographically distributed, and high availability design cloud-based directory and modern identity management solution spanning on-premises and cloud, providing - application access control, federation, identity management, user provisioning, information protection, standard protocols support, and more. It combines core directory services, application access management, and identity protection in a single solution. As per Microsoft Azure AD runs out of 28 data centers around the world with automated failover, means if one data center goes down, copies of your data are live in at least two more regionally dispersed data centers and available for instant access.
Azure AD Offering numerous identity management capabilities including :-
- Multi-factor authentication (MFA)
- Device registration
- Self-service password management and group management
- Privileged account management
- Role-based access control (RBAC)
- Application usage monitoring
- Auditing and security alerts.
- Can integrate with on-premises Active Directory.
- Provides authentication and authorization for cloud identity, synchronized identity, and federated identity.
About Azure Domain Name: -
Whenever you subscribe for Azure AD, be default a Domain is created for you with name of domain is a concatenation of email address used to sign up for subscription+"onmicrosoft.com", Example - if you register a domain "abc" then email address domain will be "@abc.microsoft.com". You can add multiple custom internet Domain name which you want to control by Azure AD to simplifies the user sign-on experience by allowing users to log on with credentials they are familiar with.
To add new custom Domain name you must have the global administrator rights, by default first user which sign up for Azure AD already have the global administrator rights. You also need to verify the domain ownership by creating a DNS record on Name server to work Azure AD properly for custom domain.
Edition and Pricing for Azure Active Directory Services: -
Currently there is five plan available by Microsoft including - FREE, BASIC, PREMIUM P1, PREMIUM P2, OFFICE 365 APPS. For more details about price and feature, Please visit - https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/active-directory/
Interesting fact: -
- Azure AD is one of the largest business identify system on the planet.
- Currently till Sept 2018, 40 Million active device registered out of 107 million total devices with Azure AD
- At this time 4 Million organization using AD.
- In a week approximate 18 Billion authentication done.
- 3x redundancy across Datacenters throughout the world.
- 99.9% SLA.